[ogsa-dmi-wg] bulk copy strawman proposal

david.meredith at stfc.ac.uk david.meredith at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 26 04:58:52 CST 2010

Hi folks,
(To address my actions from the last DMI phone conf):

As you are aware, I have been given the task to come up with a straw-man
proposal for a 'bulk' data copy activity document prior to OGF that
may/may not build upon on the DMI functional spec (for the purpose of
describing multiple data copy operations across different sources and
sinks).  I would appreciate your views/preferences on the following
salient points before I start this task (I also emailed Andreas and
Donal from JSDL to canvas their opinions also - awaiting a reply).

Anyhow, I guess the salient points as discussed in the paper that need
an early decision are listed below (note, if you would like a copy of
the cited paper please email me directly, I'll send you a copy since its
awaiting final publication review):

1)	The preferred format to pursue to describe the data source and
sink? i.e. a) the jsdl inspired <mjsdl:DataTransfer/> element with
nested <mjsdl:Source/> and <mjsdl:Target> elements
(http://code.google.com/p/dtsproject/source/browse/trunk/dts-schema/src/
main/resources/minx-jsdl-example.xml ), or b) the DMI inspired
<DataCopy/> element based on DEPRs as shown in Fig 4 in the paper.

2)	Should we pursue the use of element references as discussed in
Figure 5 in the paper to reduce XML repetition (i.e. support references
in addition to the traditional in-line approach)?  Potential referenced
elements include; <Source/>, <Target /> (assuming option 1a), <DataERP/>
(assuming option 1b), <TransferRequirement/>, <URIProperties/> and
<Credentials/>.

Some considerations:
If option 1a) is preferred, do we further extend this so that it can be
used to reference multiple alternative source/sink data locations akin
to the dmi DEPR construct, i.e. allow multiple <mjsdl:Source/> and/or
<mjsdl:Target/>  data locations within a single <mjsdl:DataTransfer/>.
In doing this, we actually define a construct very similar to the DEPR
construct.

Many thanks,
Dave

David Meredith