[ogsa-dmi-wg] Notes from Telcon on 25/7

Mario Antonioletti mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Sat Jul 26 01:51:55 CDT 2008

OGSA-DMI Telcon - 25/07/08
==========================

Attendees:
 	 Mario Antonioletti, EPCC
 	 Michel Drescher, Fujitsu
 	 Steven Newhouse, Microsoft
 	 Allen Luniewski, IBM

Agenda:
        - Implementations and Interop progress
        - OGF24 Planning
        - Rendering documents

+---

- Implementations and Interop progress

  Michel and Steven have been working on interop.

  Currently can both get factory attributes from each other's
  implementations, can also create DTIs from each other's
  implementations. Michel can create a DTI on Steven's implementation
  and it works. Steven has not yet tried it out on Michel's implementation.

  Time zone difference has been a bit of a burden.

  Have had some SOAP 1.1 issues - .Net has two sets of settings.
  Steven's clients were originally speaking SOAP 1.2 while Michel's
  server understood  SOAP 1.1. Steven can now use 1.1 on his client.

  Main obstacles overcome: security infrastructure sorted, protocols
  are communicating with each other - now massaging the XML messages is
  being done which is a lesser but not trivial problem. Semantics are
  right but the XML processing works slightly differently across the
  implementations - question as to how low we want to drill into this.

  The basic interop is done for the factory and instance services.

  To what level do we want a continue developing test case/scenarios to
  test the specifications? Can do it at the high level and then leave
  the rest to compliance testing?

  Are errors dealt with correctly?

  Michel set up a wiki page with test cases that we want to try
  out:

  http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.ogsa-dmi-wg/wiki/HomePage

   Need to cover the Data EPRs, check that we can set up a transfer
   and successfully transfer data. Also, do some faults testing. Set up the
   basic mechanisms to test inter operation but we do not have to do
   this exhaustively.

   Currently doing the plain web services rendering interop.
   Steven will not go on to do a WSRF rendering. We need to have
   participants from the WSRF camp - possibly Jeulich Unicore or Globus
   but carrying out this exercise has been really useful. Validating
   the core stuff - the WSRF rendering is really a wrapper round that
   core bit.

   Thus far we are on track. Have six months to do all of this.
   Would be nice to have  a third person involved in order to
   validate the spec.

   By OGF would expect that we will have Steven and Michel's stuff
   interop'ing fully and should have the basic stuff that needs to
   bed tested on the wiki page.

- OGF24 Planning

   A 45 minute DMI session requested. At the moment Steven appears
   to be the only person that is planning to attend OGF. Michel,
   Allen and Mario are not - Ravi was not sure.

   The standards council is planning to have a plenary event at OGF24
   to talk about the uptake of standards work. Plan to talk about
   standards across various groups - Steven can plug the DMI work
   at this session.

- Rendering documents

   Michel has sent out the WSDL to Steve - WSDL did not contain SOAP
   binding information for either SOAP 1.1 or 1.2 - lead to some issues
   but this is sorted out now.

   Now have SOAP 1.1 bindings. The WSDL is now fairly mature. Can start
   to feed things back to the rendering documents.

   Things are working well.

   Michel and Steven will continue working on the interop and try to
   find the sensitive parts to work on and use this together with the
   XML generated to build the rendering documents.

   If we can present the results of the interop activities we may get
   further engagement from the broader community.

   Michel and Steven will announce when they are ready to move on to the
   next stage and get more people involved.

   Steven/Michel will flag when they think we should have another call.

|Mario Antonioletti:EPCC,JCMB,The King's Buildings,Edinburgh EH9 3JZ.   |
|Tel:0131 650 5141|mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk|http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~mario/ |