[ogsa-dmi-wg] DMI Factory Concern

Allen Luniewski luniew at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 22 13:54:37 CST 2007

I have read through the current draft of the specification.  My big
concern after reading this is the way in which a DMI factory is going to
get its job done.

Consider what a factory has to do.  It is given a source, S0, and a sink,
S1, to move data between, as well as other important information.  But
let's concentrate on the source and sink aspects at this point. The
factory also support doing transfers using one or more transfer
mechanisms/protocols, call them P0...PN.  The fundamental problem facing
the factory is to find which of the Pi are supported by both S0 and S1 and
which will meet the QoS goals of the transfer.  I am struggling to
understand how the factory can find which of the Pi are mutually
supported.  The current specification provides no architected mechanism
for making this determination.

With no architected mechanism, the factory must have a means, presumably
specific to each Pi, of asking S0 and S1 if they support Pi.  I suppose
that this is a solution but doesn't it then place a requirement on the
specification of each possible transfer mechanism to provide such an
interface?  Do all transfer mechanisms have this, especially those already
with approved specifications or, even, de facto specifications?

Another approach would be for the factory to run through the Pi trying to
create a transfer using that Pi.  Possible, does not add additional
requirements on the specifications of transfer protocols but it sure seems
inefficient to me.

Is there some other way of doing this without placing something in the DMI
spec?

In the Data Architecture document
(http://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/doc14053?nav=1) we explicitly attacked this
problem. We proposed a simple interface provided by each data service that
allows the DMI factory to get a list of the transfer protocols supported
by that service.  This seemed to us to be simple to specify, effective in
solving the problem and easy to implement in a data service.  I suggest
that DMI take this approach and architect such an inquiry interface
between DMI factories and sources/sinks.

Comments?  Suggestions?

Allen Luniewski
IBM Cross Brand Services
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory