[ogsa-dmi-wg] EGEE Participation in OGSA-DMI

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Thu Apr 5 01:53:34 CDT 2007

Hi James,

James Casey wrote:
> Hi Michel, Ravi,
>
> This is just to give you an update on our participation in the OGSA-DMI
> group.  Due to workload here, and the direction that the specification
> is going towards WSRF-based services, we don't see that we'll be able to
> provide an implementation of the specification in the forseeable future.

This is most unfortunate to hear, and I am really sorry to loose the
expertise of your team (including you).

While I can fully understand the workload issue, I am nonetheless hopeful
that we can resolve the misunderstanding regarding WSRF based DMI services.

I certainly admit that momentarily the Functional Specification
incorporates WSRF-centric paragraphs. This is clearly not desirable and
those paragraphs need to be cleaned up and moved to the WSRF Rendering
document. OGSA-DMI is still strongly committed not to favour one rendering
over the other. The simple reason for a tainted Functional Specification is
that I copied this text from a document I wrote for the NextGRID project,
which in deed uses the WSRF.

So I hope that you guys rethink your decision, and return and help us
cleaning up the spec from the WSRF artifacts: Each helping hand is greatly
welcome!

> Due to this, we're going to scale back our participation in OGSA-DMI, in
> particular, we won't have a regular representative at the weekly
> meetings and OGF meetings.  We'll keep in touch on the mailing list, and
> continue to review the document.

Constant document review is a very valuable effort and contribution, and I
am grateful for that.

Currently, OGSA-DMI focuses on the Functional Specification, working its
way through chapter by chapter. At the moment, we are working in the
chapters up to the Information Model (ch. 4), knowing that the other
chapters need rework and clean up, too.

> I hope that in the future, after LHC startup, we can participate more
> actively again in the group.

And I hope so, too.

I would like to, if possible, talk to you guys further and in more detail
in Manchester, as I believe that I will see one or the other through EGEEUG.

Cheers,
Michel