[OGSA-D-WG] ByteIO and transport protocols

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Fri May 11 16:12:12 CDT 2007

One conversation at OGF20 raised the question of how ByteIO can be used
with transport protocols other than those that return data in the
response message.  The ByteIO spec deliberately leaves this as an
extensibility option without specifying how it should be done.

It seems to me that it would be too expensive to negotiate a protocol
and appropriate mechanism for each request in a multi-request activity.
A more practical solution would be to establish some sort of session and
then have the ByteIO operations control the transfer across that
session.

I wonder whether we should mention this possibility in the architecture
document?  We have deliberately declared session management to be out of
scope and I am not suggesting that we go into details, but we could note
this as an area for future work.

Best wishes,

Dave Berry
Research Manager, National e-Science Centre
15 South College Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AA
Tel: +44 131 651 4039