[OGSA-D-WG] Teleconference Minutes, 8 June 2007

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 11:48:11 CDT 2007

I've made an attempt at rewriting the Cache section.  I've put a table
of operations at the start, clarified that there are potentially many
cache services (one per set of interfaces), expanded the description of
the create operation, added a list of properties, and added sub-headings
to improve the structure.  I've borrowed a lot from the replication
section.

Mario, if you let me know when you have a suitable version, I'll copy
these changes into it.  I can also update some of the glossary entries.

At some point I need to work on the Catalog section.  I'll try to do
this soon.

Other thoughts:

In my view, section 2 should give an overview of the components of our
toolkit, the capabilities they provide, some high-level patterns for
their use, and some cross-cutting concerns.  For example, it should
state that we describe storage management, explain the interaction of
access and transfer, state that replication can be used to control
these, and that composite services can be created using federation and
caching.  It should explain how these services may be hidden behind
client libraries (e.g. for legacy support).  Finally, it should describe
how policy issues are handled across the various components.

Section 3.7 should be discussing the support for policies provided by
OGSA, e.g. WS-Policy, WS-Agreement, etc.  It's not our job to define
general mechanisms such as these.  Currently this section does talk
about data-specific issues as well.

I wonder whether we should say something in section 2 about service
creation.  Throughout our document we have tended to assume the
existence of factory services, each with an appropriate createXXX
operation.  I think this is a useful way to structure our document; the
createXXX operations let us describe the issues that need to be taken
into account when creating a particular service (such as policies,
location, etc.).   But in the larger OGSA context, might services be
created as part of the provisioning capabilities of the architecture
rather than a specific factory service?

Section 10.3 still discusses a DestroyReplica operation.  I think we
agreed to remove this (it's not in the table at the start of section
10).

Best wishes,

Dave.