[OGSA-D-WG] [ogsa-wg] Definition of "data service"

Allen Luniewski luniew at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 9 11:12:59 CDT 2007

I think that it would be a mistake to think of data as some sort of
abstraction of a file.  Certainly file-like things are an instance of data.
But there are others: relational databases, object oriented databases, XML
databases, streams of data (although streams are out of scope for V1 of the
data architecture).

Allen Luniewski
IBM Cross Brand Services
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
555 Bailey Ave.
San Jose, CA 95141

408-463-2255
408-930-1844 (mobile)

             "Donal K.
             Fellows"
             <donal.k.fellows@                                          To
             manchester.ac.uk>         guru prasad <guru_bn at yahoo.com>
                                                                        cc
             07/07/2007 10:43          Allen Luniewski/Almaden/IBM at IBMUS,
             AM                        Dave Berry <daveb at nesc.ac.uk>,
                                       ogsa-d-wg at ogf.org, ogsa-wg
                                       <ogsa-wg at ogf.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [ogsa-wg] [OGSA-D-WG]
                                       Definition of "data service"

guru prasad wrote:
> Thank you for your comments Allen.
>
> In that case I vote for Dave Berry's definition:
>
> "A service that provides interfaces to the capabilities and data of one
> or more data resources within a service-oriented architecture."

There is a separate question as to whether the data *is* a capability; I
suspect it is, at least in some abstract sense. On the other hand, you
might wish to distinguish the data as a special kind of capability that
needs non-generic handling.

> and the Data Resource is .....

A data resource is an abstraction of a file, so I'd imagine that you'd
want to describe it as a resource that is an ordered collection of
organized information. (The idea is that it doesn't have to be in a
file, but it does have many file-like characteristics.) It's strongly
beneficial to the overall OGSA if you can have data resources being a
subclass of resources (by referencing the OGSA glossary).

Donal.