[OGSA-D-WG] [ogsa-wg] Definition of "data service"

Allen Luniewski luniew at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 5 13:16:16 CDT 2007

>From the Data Architecture glossary:
        Data sink: A data resource that receives the data copied by a data
transfer mechanism from a source.
        Data Source: A data resource that contains the data to be copied
to a sink via a data transfer mechanism.
Informally, Data Architecture, and DMI for that matter, use these terms to
denote the end points of a data transfer operation.

A data resource is defined as:
        An entity (and its associated framework) that provides a data
access mechanism or can act as a source or sink.
(This is what currently on Grid Forge but source/sink really mean data
source/sink).

So, a data resource is the "thing" that both holds data and provides
mechanisms for accessing its contents.

Think of a data resource as something like a relational database or a file
system as we have had for decades while the Data Architecture defines
interfaces (services) that "front" a data resource, making it a
participant in the service oriented architecture being defined by OGSA.

Allen Luniewski
IBM Cross Brand Services
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
555 Bailey Ave.
San Jose, CA 95141

408-463-2255
408-930-1844 (mobile)

guru prasad <guru_bn at yahoo.com>
Sent by: ogsa-wg-bounces at ogf.org
07/05/2007 10:54 AM

Mario Antonioletti <mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk>, Dave Berry <daveb at nesc.ac.uk>
cc
ogsa-d-wg at ogf.org, ogsa-wg <ogsa-wg at ogf.org>
Subject
Re: [ogsa-wg] [OGSA-D-WG] Definition of "data service"

This brings me to this question: What is the difference between and data
source and a data resource?

Is former just the container for data and latter is responsible for
managing one or more data sources?

Mario Antonioletti <mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi,

> Currently we're looking at something like the following:
>
> A service that exposes the capabilities or data of one or more
> data resources within a service-oriented architecture.

I think it should be "the capabilities and data" as opposed to "or".
Similarly for the definition below. However, I think the one above
is more succinct and thus gets my vote.

> or
>
> A service that exposes the capabilities of one or more data
> resources within a service-oriented architecture. These capabilities
> might include data access, data transfer or data management.

Mario

Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.--
  ogsa-wg mailing list
  ogsa-wg at ogf.org