[OGSA-D-WG] Stab at Glossary Terms

Allen Luniewski luniew at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 17 20:55:50 CDT 2007

Dave,

Comments in-lien below.

Allen Luniewski
IBM Cross Brand Services
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
555 Bailey Ave.
San Jose, CA 95141

408-463-2255
408-930-1844 (mobile)

"Dave Berry" <daveb at nesc.ac.uk> wrote on 04/15/2007 03:54:52 AM:

> I think it's vital that we define these terms, because there has
> been a lack of clarity for a while about the difference between data
> access and data transfer.  The existing definition of data resource
> (originally from DAIS) doesn't distinguish between these two modes
> in the way that we do, using source and sink to implicitly refer to
both.

> Comments inline =>

data"?

Agreed.  Much better.

> I'm also not sure about saying "receive that data", as it may not be
> the requestor that receives the data (i.e. the data may be sent to a
> third party).  Would it work to say "and either return that data to
> the requestor or to make it available for transfer elsewhere"?  I
> think Mario had a suggestion for some phrasing that might be better
> than my attempt here.

I see your point and I agree that this needs to be fixed.  Your suggestion
works for me.

> Data Resource: An entity that can act as a source or sink of data
> together with its associated framework.  By source we simply mean an
> entity that can originate data.  And by sink we simply mean an
> entity that receives data.
> I'm not comfortable with using source and sink in a generic fashion
> here and in a more restrictive fashion elsewhere in the document (if
> this is what you are suggesting).  I'd rather just refer readers to
> the glossary definitions of these terms and make sure that all the
> entries are consistent.
>
> An alternative definition that I suggested was, "An entity (and its
> associated framework) that supports a data access interface, or that
> can act as a source or sink for data transfer", although I'm not
> strongly wedded to that.

The problem is that in the context of data resource I don't want to tie it
into data transfer, at least not in the DMI sense of data.  The definition
should include data that is stored/retrieved directly as a result of a
call on the data resource's API.  How about "An entity that can receive
data from a requestor or cause its data to be made available to a
requestor or a third party denoted by a requestor."

> Data Transfer: A mechanism to move data from a source of data to a sink
> of data.
> Should we say "copy" rather than "move"?   Should we also say
> "physically copy" or some such phrasing to distinguish this from a
> mere renaming within a global namespace?

Yes, definitely "copy".  I missed changing this one when I changed sink
and source to "copy".  I am okay with physical copy although personally I
do not see it adding much value to the definition.

> Source: A data resource that contains that data to be copied to a sink
via a
> data transfer mechanism.
>
> Sink: A data resource that receives the data copied by a data transfer
> mechanism from a source.
> Currently we use "source" and "sink" to mean interfaces on a data
> resource.  I think we should make this clear.  We could use the
> terms to mean both the resource and the interface, provided that we
> are clear about what we are doing.

Should we add a phrase along the lines of "A sink is also the interface
provided by a data resource as part of its participation in a data
transfer."  And similarly for sink.