[ogsa-d-wg] Discovery Service - Returning Data

Mario Antonioletti mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Mar 16 11:48:10 CST 2006

Hi,
    Is it not the case that you may want some higher level service that
given some metadata (or attributes) about the type of data that you are
looking for will go and talk to services (discovery and data services),
locate the data that matches your criteria and return it to the user.
The user never be concerned about what the physical or logical name for
that data was. In effect some sort of user broker or agent. That was
my understanding from the call.

I think this is a higher-level service that uses discovery services but
is not necessarily a registry. I would agree with Peter that we do not
want to bind the discovery process with the content retrieval process
in the architecture. On the other hand if someone wants to create
such a combined beast then we should not necessarily put obstacles
in their way but that would be outwith the scope of the architecture.

 			Mario

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Dave Berry wrote:

> Allen,
>
> I'm also a bit concerned about this.  I apologise, because I didn't
> realise when we were discussing this on the call that you had taken the
> action to make this change - I was in too much of a hurry to move on to
> the next item.  My concern is that I don't know what it means to "return
> the data", in a context where we have several possible interfaces for
> accessing data, including ByteIO and the various DAIS specs, each of
> which operate on names.
>
> I don't think I understand Dieter's suggestion sufficiently well to
see
> how it would affect the overall architecture.  It certainly sounds an
> interesting idea and if we can incorporate it simply then that's all to
> the good, but I'd rather we had a longer talk with Dieter first.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Dave.
>
>  _____

|Mario Antonioletti:EPCC,JCMB,The King's Buildings,Edinburgh EH9 3JZ.   |
|Tel:0131 650 5141|mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk|http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~mario/ |