[ogsa-d-wg] New version of architecture document

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 30 02:38:51 CDT 2006

It occurs to me that some of the issues covered by the WS-DAI properties
are perhaps worthy of more general discussion in the architecture:

1. Derived data resources.  WS-DAI has properties that show whether
updates to a child are reflected in the parent and vice-versa.  I think
we mention derived data in passing; we could say more about it and treat
it more consistently.

2. Concurrent access and local transaction support.  ByteIO deliberately
says nothing about concurrent access; we should at least mention this.
Possible we should consider these issues across all data services?  The
discussion of distributed transactions in 3.9 should mention the WS-DAI
support for local transactions.

3. The WS-DAI CoreResource interface handles mapping from abstract names
to addresses. We need to understand how this relates to the OGSA naming
scheme.

4. WS-DAI defines properties for the name of a resource and a
human-readable description of the resource.  These seem reasonably
generic properties - we (or even the OGSA WG) might want to consider
whether they are more widely useful.  (Or perhaps we should ask the DAIS
WG to explain why they are necessary in WS-DAI if they are not needed
anywhere else).

Finally, I note that section 11.3 mentions enhanced access operations
that would ease the federation of a data resource.  This is worth a
forward mention from the data access section itself.

Dave.