[ogsa-d-wg] RE: Data federation definition

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Thu Jan 26 04:11:13 CST 2006

Folks,

We need a definition of how we are using the term "data federation", for
the OGSA glossary.  Fortunately we don';t have to find a definition that
covers all the ways the term is used in the world, just how we use it in
our document.  Following a short discussion at the OGSA F2F, Jem (who is
keeper of the glossary) suggested the following;

The integration of multiple data resources so that they can be accessed
as if they were a single resource.

Allen suggested that as we are accessing data via services, this would
be better phrased as follows (see the attached message for Allen's
explanation in his own words):

The integration of multiple services or data resources so that they can
be accessed as if they were a single service.

We discussed this on yesterday's call and the consensus was that I
should post to the list and ask for your comments.

We briefly discussed whether we should separately define "data
federation" and "data integration".  One view was that "integration"
didn't necessarily involve distributed resources while "federation"
didn't necessarily involve integrating the resources into a single view.
The contrasting view was that integration almost always involves
distributed data in practice, and especially so in a Grid context, while
federation typically requires some way of accessing the distributed data
as a whole.  So I'm leaning towards treated the terms as synonyms within
our documents.

What do you think?

Dave.

  _____