[ogsa-d-wg] The big picture

Mario Antonioletti mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jan 23 05:36:58 CST 2006

Hi,
    A couple of points from me too:

o The arrows between the services - what do they mean? Are these
   web service communications, i.e. SOAP?

o I feel slightly uneasy about coupling interfaces with services -
   at some level the interfaces that compose a service should be
   freer (up to the implementors) and not prescribed by the data
   architecture. Some may read the diagram as a prescriptive
   composition.

o I would like to be able to, at least in principle, couple the
   transfer operation, with the access operation so if I have a
   pile of data to transfer to be able to do it through one service
   as opposed to trying to couple services together which would be
   a more complex operation (which admittedly may be required at
   some points).

o Not sure about the nomenclature of the Transfer services whic
   operates on "Source" interfaces - can these just be end-points
   or something? Else, what type of functionality does a "Source"
   interface provide? Also, at some point this may also operate
   as a "sink" or is it always going to be a source?

I guess the good point of having such a diagram is that it immediately
allows a lot of questions to be asked :-) so this is a good start.

 			Mario

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Stephen Davey wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> I think the pictures give a nice illustration of the basic structure.
>
> On the 2 diagrams you have a line going directly from the Storage
> Service to the Stored Resources Service. Should this line actually go
> via an interface on one or other of the services?
>
> Cheers, Stephen.

|Mario Antonioletti:EPCC,JCMB,The King's Buildings,Edinburgh EH9 3JZ.   |
|Tel:0131 650 5141|mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk|http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~mario/ |