[ogsa-d-wg] Draft Charter for Data Movement Interface Standardization WG

Malcolm Atkinson mpa at nesc.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 17:38:32 CDT 2005

Dave this is a good way of posing the question.
One can also relate it to the proposal a couple of years ago by Peter
Kunszt for grid data handles as a generic concept for naming data.

I think the problem arises when the selected data is an arbitrary subset
of the stored data or a derivative of the stored data derived via any of
a wide range of languages: Xquery, Xpath, SQL, LDAP, semi-structured
QLs, statistical languages, FFT, datacutter, ....

These all make sense.  It is just hard to understand how to compose
them.  It is hard to make general rules.  The derived data has to be
evaluated to some point where it can be moved - a RAM buffer - can the
movement be part of the standard and the derivation processes be
strictly corraled in some other specs?

Malcolm