[ogsa-d-wg] OGSA 1.5 update for Thursday's telcon

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Sun Oct 23 10:34:08 CDT 2005

Dear all,

I have further updated the OGSA 1.5 document to address the comments
discussed on Thursday's telcon (see attachment).  This is the version I
have sent to Andreas (the editor).  Further discussion about this
document will take place on the Monday OGSA calls.

One of the issues we discussed on Thursday was whether to keep separate
sections on "architectural considerations" and "properties".  I've
renamed "architectural considerations" to "legacy considerations",
because this better describes its content - I'm happy to consider better
titles for this section.  I've also reworded the introductions of both
sections, and moved "transformations" back to the "functionality"
section.

Another issue we discussed was the relationship between metadata
catalogues, data discovery, and the OGSA information services.  I've
attempted to clarify these by saying that OGSA information services
provide the framework for data discovery, but that data discovery also
requires languages or ontologies for describing data.  For some use
cases, we may want metadata catalogues with more limited functionality,
e.g. just looking up the metadata associated with a particular abstract
name.

Dave.