[OGSA-BES-WG] [jsdl-wg] Parameter Sweep and BES Factory

Piotr Domagalski piotr.domagalski at man.poznan.pl
Tue Jul 22 13:35:54 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Steven Newhouse
<Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com> wrote:
> The current model in BES and JSDL is that one JSDL document passed into the CreateActivity yields one EPR to reference/manage it. I don't see any compelling reason to move away from that.

On one hand, this could be the easiest solution to this problem -- it
would break the WSDL, though. On the other, this could be bad in terms
of performance. I'd rather not see CreateActivity response with
thousands of EPRs... In fact, I see one use case of using parameter
sweep to be the performance gain of hiding the details of a complex
job (in terms of numerous tasks).

> To deal with the state representation of the many parameter sweep jobs I would look to use the BES state extension model to capture the details of the number of queued, running or finished parameter sweep tasks WITHIN the running state. I think this would need to be captured in a short profile document along the lines of the HPCBP File Staging extension.

That looks like a sensible approach. I'd be happy to see such a
profile in the near future...

> If you want to manage each task within an activity there is an undefined Activity port type in the BES specification that you could look to define for individual parameter sweep tasks if you really wanted to... but I'm not convinced of the use case and need for this.

Neither do I. My main concern is monitoring the state of such an
activity, which could take a long time because of many tasks and
having some "heuristic state" could be not an option.

--
Piotr Domagalski