[OGSA-BES-WG] Process issues

Stephen M Pickles Stephen.Pickles at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 07:16:56 CST 2007

All,

One week last call on the OGSA-BES spec was announced
about 10 days ago.

This has sparked a flurry of interesting discussion.
However, I think it time that the group try to reign
in these discussions, and decide what if anything needs
to be done to the document before submitting it to the OGF
editor.

I see some cause for urgency, as the OGSA-HPCP Profile
specification, which references OGSA-BES, is already in
GFSG review and on-track to emerge for public comment
as a proposed recommendation in two weeks' time.

The sub-threads I have noticed are:
1. A discussion about authorship and contributors, which
   should not be hard for grown-ups to reach closure on.
   Remember that the limit of 5 on authors is purely advisory.
   I recommend giving credit where credit is due, and if you
   still have more than 5 authors, submit anyway, making it
   the GFSG's problem, not the group's.
2. A discussion about the right granularity for BES faults.
   I don't detect any profound controversy here (just a
   bunch of smart people trying to get it right), but on
   the other hand, I don't detect a clear consensus
   on how to proceed.
3. Some arcane discussion, apparently stillborn, on
   Weak Similarity and the state model, which I don't
   presume to understand
4. A set of questions from Joseph Bester, of which
   some appear to have been answered, and some don't.

May I suggest that the group has a call to try to close
off these loose ends?

And in the meantime, could anyone who still has issues
with the current draft propose some concrete text?

Stephen

Technical Director, National Grid Service
Manchester Computing
Room G49.1, Kilburn Building
The University of Manchester           tel: +44 161 275 5974
Oxford Road                            fax: +44 161 275 6800
Manchester M13 9PL          stephen.pickles at manchester.ac.uk