[OGSA-BES-WG] BES Last Call

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Wed Feb 14 03:12:33 CST 2007

On Feb 14, Andreas Savva modulated:
> Ok ... I'm really not trying to be difficult with this.

Hah, don't be discouraged!  I am just trying to help "channel" Chris
since I've bent his ear on this topic many times before.  I agree the
specific faults seem a bit screwy...

It sounds like there is a need for more separate faults:

  InvalidRequest: IMHO should mean invalid, e.g. doesn't validate
       to schema, just in case the user's tooling didn't already stop
       that before it got to the service.  is this a MUST or a SHOULD
       for an implementation to validate input?

  UnsupportedRequest: detected some feature or extension not
       implemented (an implementation limit, not a site policy),
       and I would advocate that a service MUST detect and refuse
       unsupported/unrecognized features rather than silently proceeding,
       unless you have some way to mark fields as mandatory or not

  Unavailable: we cannot give what you are asking for, and
       this one has to be more generic I think and could be thrown
       when an implementation cannot be bothered to distinguish
       any of the following

The previous seem very important and basic, while these latter ones
seem more useful to expose more information but allow various levels
of implementation complexity at the same time, all being alternatives
to the generic Unavailable:

  Disallowed: if you want to report on site policy limits such as min/max
       thresholds, to help problem determination?

  OutOfRange: the parameter of a supported feature is out of range
       for either making sense or being available (Chris calls this
       being "configured" in a cluster, I think) or due to site policy,
       e.g. overlaps with Disallowed

  Depleted: this is a temporary condition such everything being allocated,
       so it is disjoint with Disallowed and OutOfRange.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com