[OGSA-BES-WG] BES Last Call

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Feb 13 01:04:11 CST 2007

On Feb 13, Andreas Savva modulated:
> I asked the initial question because I could not understand why the case
> of giving an OS value from the JSDL-defined enumeration (well-defined
> presumably) would fall in the same category as that of specifying a
> fractional or negative value for CPUCount.

I think Chris sees this as an "out of range" error for the
implementation, without distinguishing necessarily between
"consistent, but not available in my resource manager", and
"inconsistent".  It is just a constraint that fails to match.

In the general case, this distinction may be incomputable, though some
(optional) validation and analysis could weed out common
inconsistencies before handing the constraint to the solver. (Right,
Chris?)

This is an area where I can see the value in being liberal in the
specification requirements to allow for a range of implementations.
The only issue is making sure the concept space is modeled such that a
less discerning implementation returns a more generic error and not a
detailed but mischaracterized description of what is going on... it is
that latter bit which pollutes the value of the detailed faults from
an interop point of view.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski