[OGSA-BES-WG] wsdl/xsd modifications for BES v26

Glenn Wasson wasson at virginia.edu
Thu Sep 28 10:22:51 CDT 2006

Hello,

	As part of the HPC Profile interop work, I have been trying to
process the BES v26 WSDL through my tooling (Microsoft's wsdl.exe). I have
found a number of problems with the BES-Factory wsdl and xsd that appears in
the appendix of the BES document. Some of these issues are simple typos and
some require re-formulations of the wsdl/xsd in order to work with the
tooling. I have attached modified versions of both the wsdl and xsd for
bes-factory and, below, I have provided a summary of the changes. I contend
that these changes (apart from fixing typos) don't actually change the
defined interface/data types - they are merely an alternate way of
expressing the same ideas using wsdl/xsd that (at least my) tooling can
handle.

I am interested in:
a) comments on this reformulation
b) whether anyone else, who is using different tools, has had similar (or
   different) issues with the wsdl/xsd in the BES v26 appendix
c) whether anyone using different tools encounters issues processing the
   attached wsdl/xsd
d) whether people participating in the HPCP interop work are willing to use
   the attached wsdl/xsd

Glenn

Summary of changes:
1. bes-factory wsdl (appendix E) and bes-factory xsd (appendix B) both have

   <xsd:schema> elements with the same target namespace
     - moved schema types from bes-factory.wsdl to bes-factory.xsd
     - changed <schema> element in bes-factory.wsdl to only import bes-
       factory.xsd (other imports seemed to create problems because the same

       schemas were also imported in the bes-factory.xsd file)
     - changed target namespace of <xsd:schema> element in bes-factory.wsdl
       to http://schemas.ggf.org/bes/2006/08/bes-factory/WSDL (added the
       /WSDL)
     - This doesn't effect anything since no types are defined in the bes-
       factory.wsdl's <xsd:schema>, but was necessary to prevent the
       namespace collision
2. the operation "ResponseType" elements are multiply defined
     - both the wsdl and xsd define <xsd:element>s for, for example,
       CreateActivityResponse (the definitions differ only in the name of an

       outer element wrapper)
     - kept the definition with the outer element wrapper around the type
       (i.e. <Response> as the outer element)
     - moved this definition to bes-factory.xsd and simply reference it from

       bes-factory.wsdl
3. typos in the types of the response elements for several operations
     - GetActivityStatusesResponse, TerminateActivitiesResponse,
       GetActivityDocumentsResponse should be of types
       GetActivityStatusesResponseType, TerminateActivitiesResponseType,
       GetActivityDocumentsResponseType respectively
4. added minOccurs and maxOccurs to the GetAttributesDocument related
   classes
     - spec seems undecided here