[OGSA-BES-WG] Tracker Resolution Descriptions

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Wed Sep 6 12:16:46 CDT 2006

Characterizing this issue as WS-RF vs WS-Transfer is misleading. I can't
recall any discussions within this group where anybody advocated doing a
WS-Transfer rendering for the BES interface. Well ... other than the WS-RF
proponents who wrongly assumed that because some (like myself) were against
the use of WS-RF, that must mean we were in favour of WS-Transfer. I also
don't recall anybody advocating operations for modification, etc such as
defined within WS-Transfer. To me this is a discussion of a resource
modelling approach (built on WS-RF) vs a non resource modelling approach.

My main reason for not wanting to make use of one of the resource modelling
approaches has to do with the burden of implementation. If Platform buys
into one of these resource models, we no longer have to implement one simple
spec and test compliance of that specification, but we need to implement and
test compliance on a suite of specifications, for (in my opinion) no extra
benefit. You might say that once you've implemented a resource modelling
suite of specifications, you can use it over and over and thus amortize the
cost of this implementation. But even at a small cost, it's not one that I'm
willing to take, as the implementation of standards specifications is one
feature in a sea of features that we implement from product release to
product release.

-- Chris