[OGSA-BES-WG] [Fwd: RE: [Fwd: BES Comments]]

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Nov 29 18:44:34 CST 2006

Forwarding Paul's email.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [OGSA-BES-WG] [Fwd: BES Comments]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:31:40 -0700
From: Strong, Paul <pstrong at ebay.com>
To: Christopher Smith <csmith at platform.com>,        Karl Czajkowski
<karlcz at univa.com>,        Hiro Kishimoto <hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com>
CC: <ogsa-bes-wg at ggf.org>

Thanks to both of you for helping me understand the reasoning behind the
current description.

I'd still suggest that clearly modeling the life-cycle of an activity,
irrespective of one's perspective (i.e. the development of a specific
interface), should provide a foundation for what control and monitoring
capabilities you want the BES container to expose.  Then one can attack
the "what do I want to monitor?" question.

That model should avoid the use of states as descriptions of past
activity. Entangling states with transitions is fraught. This approach
can typically lead to a great proliferation in the number of essentially
equivalent states that result from different transitions, thus reducing
overall clarity in the diagram.  It also prevents the implementer from
clearly identifying common elements, states etc. Modeling states and
transitions separately does not mean that a client can't easily query
the BES container to determine the state and last transition of an
activity or a collection of activities.

Anyway I will let this lie.  You guys are more familiar with your
problem space than I and as a group you have reached a consensus.   All
I will urge you to do is to provide clearer annotation and labeling of
transitions so that your reasoning is clearly understood :o)

Thanks for affording me the opportunity to comment and helping me gain a
greater understanding of BES.

Regards
Paul