[ogsa-bes-wg] Updates to document

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at cs.virginia.edu
Mon May 22 13:58:57 CDT 2006

All,

I have done the updates to the document discussed in the last two phone
calls, and in the EMS meeting in Japan.

At a high level this includes modifications to adopt text/issues from the
ESI document and the HPC profile working document. Note that this is NOT a
final document.

These changes revolve around:

1: Changing CreateActivityFromJSDL to

a)    take additional optional arguments, specifically notification
arguments and an "idempotent" argument lifted from ESI.

b)    An extension to JSDL suggested in ESI to support libraries

2: Adding a resource information model section. Originally to be from 4.1 of
the ESI document - but post discussion with Snelling, Stokes, et al a
modified 4.1.

3: State model. This is one of the biggest jobs. At GGF in Japan the HPC
profile group introduced a nice, simple, extensible state model that would
allow supporting a variety of state machines while still allowing basic
clients to understand what they were getting. After discussions with many
people I have decided to adopt that simpler state model. CLEARLY THIS WILL
NEED DISCUSSION BY INTERESTED PARTIES. I AM NOT TRYING TO PULL A FAST ONE.
I have taken the text verbatim from the HPC profile paper. Note that I do
not yet have permission from their lawyers - so we may need to yank this and
retype the same info. I hope not.

4: Refer to managedjob "type" of EPR, just as we refer to "WS-Name" "type"
of EPR.

I have not even tried to modify the WSDL and renderings. Once we decide on
the rest of the content we can do that. So don't read past page 20!

I am not sure of the status of the weekly call this week.  I will synch with
Darren and Steven and send mail tomorrow.

I'm also including some slides from the discussion of BES in the EMS
session.

Andrew Grimshaw

Professor of Computer Science

University of Virginia