[ogsa-bes-wg] Job Template vs. Job Instance Options

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 29 12:37:18 CDT 2006

I was enlightened today on the telecon to the opinions of those of you
who see a clear distinction between the activity template (JSDL) and
activity instance options. I'm fine with that, although thinking about
this I realize that we need extensibility, then, also in the
CreateActivity operation.

As a specific example, GRAM needs to access delegated credentials.
Security requirements are out of scope of the OGSA-BES spec, but EPRs
pointing to credentials clearly are in the activity instance category
rather than the activity template category. The only way not to violate
the above philosophy is to add an xsd:any (minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded" namespace="##other") to the parameter list of
CreateActivity. Putting these extensions in the JSDL document isn't
appropriate.

This could also be a better solution for things like the subscription
request and the CreateInSuspendedState parameters. They would
essentially be out of scope of the spec, but not forbidden. I think that
would appease those who don't like it specified in the spec given that
not all implementations will want to have that feature or the exact same
feature.

Peter