[ogsa-bes-wg] Questions and potential changes to BES, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Peter G Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 14 17:41:04 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 13:38 -0700, Marvin Theimer wrote:
> Hi;
>

> I guess I'm still confused about what you are asking to be addressed.
> How actual credentials are used seems like an implementation decision
> and thus out of scope of an interface spec.
>

> The main thing that comes to mind is how a BES service would expose
> which types of credentials it can handle or which it expects.  I think
> you’re right that the rest of it – e.g. declaring a set of standard
> credentials types so that interop can actually be implemented – is
> part of the HPC profile work.

So something akin to "I accept X509 certs and Kerberos tokens"? I'm fine
with that. This sounds like another item that should be included in a
GetInteropData operation that I proposed in a different email.

> True, and yet that's what the BES spec is basically doing with
> activities as well. It gives you an EPR to *something*. So if we are
> consistent about this interop philosophy then we really ought to
> define the activity interface within the same spec.
>

> “Someone” will have to define all the details that are necessary to
> enable actual interoperability.  Much of that work can be done in the
> HPC profile.  As I said in a previous email response, I like your
> suggestion of defining the activity interface – NOTE: just the generic
> query/modify part having to do with JSDL and things like cancellation
> – in the same spec.

Fair enough. Have a way to get interop data but don't restrict it. I
think I'm going to have to start paying attention to the HPC profile
work. ;-)

Peter