[ogsa-bes-wg] Re: [jsdl-wg] Questions and potential changes to JSDL, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Jun 13 00:18:29 CDT 2006

On Jun 12, Donal K. Fellows modulated:
> Though I'm not sure if most CPU and OS designers are actually good
> enough to satisfy the requirements of a true partial order over their
> components. I know both groups too well to trust them to get that right;
> CPU designers are too keen on "cute" hacks and OS designers tend to not
> believe just how important keeping things *really* compatible is...

I'd go a step further, and say that these relationships are
application specific and not intrinsic to the OS or architecture. The
underlying matching system should include some logical combining
mechanism, and "user friendly" client-side tools should allow
imposition of certain ordering idioms if this is desired.  I don't
think ANY standards body will capture all of the combinations which
matter to applications, unless they produce a logical combination
structure and canonically name nearly every combination. ;-)

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com