[ogsa-bes-wg] Attempted distillation of "Questions and potential changes to BES, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view"

Peter Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 10 10:34:02 CDT 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 6:34 PM, Marvin Theimer wrote:

> Hi;
>

> My initial email had the intended effect of generating some good
> discussion.  This email is an attempt on my part to try to distill
> what I took out of those discussions.  Feedback, corrections, and
> extensions are welcomed.
>

> The main topics that seemed to generate significant controversy
> were the following:
>
> ·        The relationship of the BES “array” operations for
> interacting with multiple activities in a batch manner versus the
> (system management) interface that should be offered via the EPRs
> corresponding to individual activities.
I still don't understand what you're getting at here. I don't see
this as the two interfaces are mutually exclusive. I just don't see
any point of having identical operations for both the BES/activity
factory service and the activity service. If the factory and activity
service were the same, then fine. If they are two distinct services
then tailor the interfaces. You mentioned "keeping them in sync". I
still don't understand your concern here. What is it that frightens
you about the BES group being able to keep the two (which are
intimately related) in sync?
> ·        How BES should describe the available resources its
> associated execution container has – especially when that container
> might be a compute cluster or the BES service might be a meta-
> scheduler fronting multiple backend BES services.  Most of this
> controversy was really around the details of the JSDL specification
> and how to use it rather than around BES proper.
>

> The rest of my suggestions did not seem to draw much fire (or maybe
> I’m just blanking it from my mind J).
>

> Given that, I would like to propose the following second draft of
> my proposal for how to change BES in order to support the HPC
> profile work:
>
> ·        Operations:
>
> ·        CreateActivity(jsdlDoc) à EPR
>
> ·        GetActivity(EPR) à activityState
>
> ·        GetActivityDescription(EPR) à JSDL doc
I would rather see a generic property getter method instead that
takes an array of EPRs. This would model better w.r.t. WSRF's
getResourceProperty, etc... methods and avoid the precedent of
providing individual operations for each property.
> ·        CancelActivity(EPR)
>
> ·        For non-WSRF versions: QueryResources() à
> schedulerResourcesInfoset
It worries me that this is a non-WSRF-only operation. We should try
very hard to avoid branching the spec for two different resource
models. If we can't avoid it then there needs to be two separate
specs IMHO. What do the WSRF services do with this?
> ·        ‘schedulerResourcesInfoset’ is essentially the union of
> the RPs that would be exported in a WSRF-based version for
> describing the resources that are available for use at this BES
> service.  Note that a BES service might also want to expose other
> kinds of information that would not be returned from this operation
> – this operation is there so that clients can determine whether or
> not a BES service could potentially meet their needs and is
> necessary for meta-scheduling scenarios.
I don't really understand what you're trying to accomplish here. You
say it's a non-WSRF operation and yet this description says it's an
aggregation of the WSRF RPs. Then you add that it might return other
stuff as well. This seems like a "give me the serialized resource
object" operation. My feeling is that if the necessary information
were exposed correctly you wouldn't need this operation.