[ogsa-bes-wg] RE: Questions and potential changes to BES, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 7 17:35:34 CDT 2006

Hi;

I'm not advocating an array interface on individual activities.  Rather
I'm asking whether there is some way of avoiding having two interfaces
be defined that need to be kept in sync.  One possibility is to have a
single interface that takes either no activityID as a parameter or an
array of them.  The former case represents interaction with a particular
activity through its AED while the latter represents interaction with a
BES services about multiple activities (i.e. one or more).

I not so sure that there will be substantive differences between the
interface provided by BES and the one provided by each activity
directly.  In a high throughput compute cluster scenario -- which is a
VERY common case -- users -- and not just sys admins -- will routinely
want to query and manipulate multiple activities at the same time.  For
example, modern UIs show multiple activities and hence must query
multiple ones.  Notifications can substantially reduce this traffic, but
there are still plenty of occasions where a user's client software will
want to query multiple activities.  As another example, users will
routinely do things like cancel all the activities related to some
larger workflow, such as a parameter sweep.  So I would argue that the
canonical interface to an execution subsystem should be sets of
activities rather than individual activities.  This point-of-view would
imply that the interface on a single activity is really just a special
case of the interface for dealing with sets of activities.  Of course,
the special case of interacting/querying a single activity is also a
very common one.  But I would argue that both scenarios need to be
equally well supported.

Marvin.