[ogsa-bes-wg] Questions and potential changes to BES, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 7 17:29:26 CDT 2006

Hi;

Outlook seems unable to do a proper job of incorporating a copy of your
email into my reply, so I will reply to your points separately from the
in-lined original email:

*	I would agree with you that security around messaging itself is
out-of-scope.  I do believe we need to think about how to deal with the
credentials used for running activities.  Without that, it will be
impossible to define an HPC profile that actually enables a working,
interoperable system.
*	I'm confused about your statement that extension profiles are
out-of-scope.  Assuming that BES will become an extensible specification
- which is implied by its acceptance of an extensible state diagram
model - then we have to define how extensions can get written and allow
for the BES WG to define a few for some of things that were in the
original BES spec, such as data staging and suspension.
*	From an HPC profile point-of-view, we have to be able to
describe BES containers that represent compute clusters.  Otherwise, the
HPC profile will not be able to achieve its goals using primarily BES
and JSDL.  That is, it would need to define another interface for
describing a cluster's resources.  That, in turn, would make the
equivalent aspects in the current BES spec redundant.
*	If we want interoperability then we have to define normative
values for things like LocalResourceManagerType.  That doesn't preclude
the notion of allowing non-normative ones to be employed by clients and
services that have an implicit understanding amongst themselves.
*	The problem with simple statements about security is that they
don't enable interoperability.   So by defining an EPR for something
like a job credential service, you're implicitly introducing an interop
requirement that all parties must figure out how to adhere to.

Marvin.