[ogsa-bes-wg] Questions and potential changes to BES, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 7 07:40:11 CDT 2006

"Staging in one's own executable" is also a requirement when deploying
services, another important use case for GRAM.

Ian.

At 09:23 AM 6/7/2006 +0100, Donal K. Fellows wrote:
>The only real use for matching on CPU and OS is if you're staging in the
>binary executable to run as part of the job. Physicists seem to like to
>do that; seems to be a peculiarity of that community. We don't see the
>same thing to anything like as great an extent among other scientists
>and engineers (and we have very little CS in our usage profile, though
>if we did I'd expect them to be similar to the physicists). On the other
>hand, the physicists seem to prefer to buy their own clusters too.

    Ian Foster, Director, Computation Institute
Argonne National Laboratory & University of Chicago
Argonne: MCS/221, 9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne, IL 60439
Chicago: Rm 405, 5640 S. Ellis Ave, Chicago, IL 60637
Tel: +1 630 252 4619.  Web: www.ci.uchicago.edu.
       Globus Alliance: www.globus.org.