[ogsa-bes-wg] Questions and potential changes to BES, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Peter Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 6 11:08:04 CDT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 3:06 AM, Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> Peter Lane wrote:
>> Marvin Theimer wrote:
>>> ·        JSDL seems to inherently be focused on describing a
>>> single job or a single computational resource.  For example, it
>>> has no notion of describing all the differing compute nodes of a
>>> (heterogeneous) compute cluster.  By incorporating JSDL elements
>>> into the BES information model it seems that BES is foreclosing
>>> the ability to describe things like compute clusters.  This issue
>>> also effects what can get returned from
>>> GetActivityJSDLDocuments.  If I’m wrong about this, then it seems
>>> like it would be worth having an explicit explanation about how
>>> to achieve this functionality somewhere in the specification.
>>>
>> I think I complained about this here as well. Certainly I've
>> complained to the JSDL people and the ESI people about this. The
>> JDSL people answered something about keeping it simple for now. My
>> guess is that people see it for the daunting task it is an prefer
>> not to address it. I'm not criticizing anyone for this. It's just
>> my take on the problem.
>
> JSDL describes the resources that are to be allocated to the job (err,
> activity) and it is not designed to handle the description of the
> resources allocated to the container.

Right, I meant something a little different when I mentioned JSDL.
JSDL doesn't allow for describing complex requirements. For example,
one might need a complex set of resources to run a distributed
application on a cluster. The best JSDL can do, IIRC, is to allocate
N homogenous resources. There's no way you can say, for example,
"give me two IA64 machines, two x86_64 machines, and two i386
machines". This is a very real requirement by users of GRAM.

Peter