[ogsa-bes-wg] BES spec

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Tue Jul 4 07:15:00 CDT 2006

Chris,

On 3 Jul 2006, at 18:49, Christopher Smith wrote:

> Another rendering for this, which Marvin and I explored a little
> bit when
> writing our document, is:
>
> <ActivityState BaseState="running">
>     <SubState StateName="profile1:Stagingin>
>         <SubState StateName="profile1:Held"/>
>     </SubState>
> </ActivityState>

I don't think we need two different tags. ActivityState only should
work, as the substate concept is captured structurally. My personal
preference is still for the subtyping approach, but I can't see
myself winning on that one.

> It would also be nice to support being in multiple sub states (if
> it makes
> sense) because of various profiles and operations, so if (for
> example) I was
> in the above state, but the user also suspended the job, I could be
> in:
>
> <ActivityState BaseState="running">
>     <SubState StateName="profile1:Stagingin>
>         <SubState StateName="profile1:Held"/>
>     </SubState>
>     <SubState StateName="profile2:Suspended"/>
> </ActivityState>

This is both interesting and very scary. On the interesting side this
make sense:

<ActivityState StateName="running">
     < ActivityState StateName="profile1:StagingIn/>
     < ActivityState StateName="profile1:Held/>
</ActivityState>

The problems I think will arise when we start to describe the
semantics. It is scary enough that I don't want to try thinking about
it with out others around and a beer.

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE