[ogsa-bes-wg] food for thought

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Thu Jun 9 01:34:02 CDT 2005

I just wanted to send out something for people to read in preparation for
the discussion on job management interfaces tomorrow.

For a nice resource modelling neutral example, I'll focus on the APIs that
the SAGA research group has proposed for job management, since the
operations (if not their rendering) are pretty much what I would propose.

Surprise, surprise ... it looks a lot like GRAM/LSF/DRMAA/<insert your
favourite job management system here>.

The attached document is the full job management interface for SAGA, but
I've pasted the job object itself below, since that what the focus of the
discussion will be.

-- Chris

interface Job {
    getJobId         (out string        jobId);
    getJobState      (out JobState      state);
    getJobInfo       (out JobInfo       info);
    getJobDefinition (out JobDefinition jobDef);
    getJobExitStatus (out JobExitStatus exitStatus);
    suspend          ();
    resume           ();
    hold             ();
    release          ();
    checkpoint       ();
    migrate          (in JobDefinition  jobDef);
    terminate        ();
    signal           (in int            signum);
}