[ogsa-bes-wg] Management Functions in BES

Steven Newhouse s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 16:38:53 CDT 2005

>>The operations in 3.4 & 3.5 (Start & Stop AcceptingNewActivities) I see
>>as being a service specific management function (i.e. they effectively
>>alter the behavior of one specific operation within the service).
>>

> While its semantics references a BES operation, it seems to me that it
> is a more general management pattern for any service that has a
> stateful, factory-like interface: stop accepting/creating new work
> items but continue processing the existing ones (whatever they are).
> The BES-specific meaning could just as easily be specified by calling
> out this work acceptance model so that it can be related to an
> external management mechanism.

I don't disagree with your statement.

1. Do these exist at the moment for use within the BES specification?

2. Would I want to adopt a whole new set of specifications (assuming the
answer to 1 is yes) to turn this off in a 'generic' way?

> I think it is wrong to burden BES implementations with these kinds of
> management functions that are specific to a hosting environment.

Altering the behaviour of one operation within the service has nothing
to do with the hosting environment in my view.

The 3rd operation (to stop the service) - would be hosting environment
specific - and perhaps does belong elsewhere.

Steven
Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Deputy Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute (OMII)
Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK