[ogsa-bes-wg] Management Functions in BES

Steven Newhouse s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk
Sat Jul 23 14:53:45 CDT 2005

> Discussion: Sections 3.4, 3.5 & 3.6. Having 3 management operations in
> the BES specification until generic OGSA management structure defined?

The operations in 3.4 & 3.5 (Start & Stop AcceptingNewActivities) I see
as being a service specific management function (i.e. they effectively
alter the behavior of one specific operation within the service).

The 'ShutdownContainer' operation is a concern. Firstly from a naming
perspective as it applies to the BES not to the web service hosting
environment. And even if the name was changed to imply that the service
itself was to be shutdown...
1. This would be a 'generic' management action which should fall under
the general OGSA management remit.
2. Also, this seems to be an operation on the hosting environment not
the service.

1 & 2 are I suppose effectively the same but I suppose I'm not sure this
operation fits here.

Steven
Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Deputy Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute (OMII)
Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK