[ogsa-bes-wg] embedding WS-Name in JSDL doc

A S McGough asm at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 11:26:45 CDT 2005

All,

Although I agree that what Karl has shown is valid in terms of the JSDL
schema I feel it somewhat goes against the core emphasis of what JSDL
sets out to achieve. JSDL set out to define a template job description,
embedding instance information within the document therefore goes
against the ideal. For instance if a user requests a JSDL document back
from a BES Service and then wishes to submit the JSDL to another BES
service it would need to strip this element out before proceeding.

If I may go back to the situation and ask why the  ActivityName needs to
be embedded in the JSDL? From what I can see it is to deal with the fact
that the requester may wish to receive back a number of JSDL documents.
Thus the requirement is to associate with each JSDL document the
ActivityName for it. This tag however need not be part of the JSDL
document itself. For example using the following would be an alternative
(and in my view) a cleaner solution.

<bes:JSDLInstance>
  <bes:ActivityName> ... WS-Name content ... </bes:ActivityName>
  <jsdl:JobDefinition>
  </jsdl:JobDefinition>
</bes:JSDLInstance>

steve..

Karl Czajkowski wrote:

>As promised on the call, here's a trivial BES spec. feature
>suggestion, in psuedo-schema format:
>
>   <bes:ActivityName>..WS-Name content..</bes:ActivityName>
>
>which could be embedded in the JSDL doc in the JobIdentification
>section for correlation purposes when retrieving JSDL docs from the
>BES service:
>
><jsdl:JobDefinition>
>   <jsdl:JobDescription>
>      <JobIdentification ...>
>         <bes:ActivityName>..WS-Name content..</bes:ActivityName>
>      </JobIdentification>
>      <Application ...>
>
>this works because JobIdentification allows zero or more
><xsd:any##other/> in its schema, e.g. any element that is defined in a
>namespace other than JSDL's namespace.
>
>karl

Dr A. Stephen McGough                       http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~asm
Technical Coordinator, London e-Science Centre, Imperial College London,
Department of Computing, 180 Queen's Gate, London SW7 2BZ, UK
tel: +44 (0)207-594-8409                        fax: +44 (0)207-581-8024
Assistant Warden, West Wing, Beit Hall, Imperial College,
Prince Consort Road, London, SW7 2BB            tel: +44 (0)207-594-9910