Fwd: RE: [ogsa-bes-wg] Proposed changes to Spec.

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 9 17:19:03 CST 2005

Steve:

Thanks for your note. This makes sense.

Ian.

At 11:21 PM 12/8/2005 +0000, Steven Newhouse wrote:
>Ian,
>
>Apologies for the delayed reply... I think we all got distracted by the
>WS-Names debate... and having just looked at the draft specification today
>for the first time today in a month or so let me take a stab at providing
>an answer.

>Recall that most of the BES discussion until recently was focused on
>the  'abstract' interface. There are now two renderings - a WSRF and a
>'plain' WS.
>
>At the moment the specification (and the renderings) do not mandate any
>particular registry function. I see no reason why WSRF based activities
>could not be federated through WS-ServiceGroups (though I'm not exactly
>sure how they work... I'm interpreting them as a 'sort of' registry view -
>apologies if this is incorrect) or the plain WS through a UDDI registry.
>
>The respective clients would not need to maintain a list of the endpoints
>they where interested in (but could do so) as these could be obtained from
>the service group or by searching the registry. Having extracted a list of
>end points these could be applied to the running activities through the
>operations on their respective containers.

>So I don't see these operations ruled out by what we've done... but not
>explicitly defined. I'm not sure if these registry functions/capability
>need to be defined/declared within the service specification. Is this not
>a broader property of the deployed SOA - e.g. UDDI registry, MDS type
>federation or P2P structure?
>
>Regards,
>
>Steven
>--
>Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
>Deputy Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute (OMII)
>Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
>Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org