[ogsa-bes-wg] EPR as activity identifier

William Lee wwhl at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Dec 2 13:04:45 CST 2005

Hi all,

I have hit on a couple of issues raised during my implementation effort
regarding the use of EPR in BES. I will try to write down my
interpretation here so the group can correct me.

Issue 1: What the type of the service addressed by the EPR returned from
a CreateActivityFromJSDL request?

[Section 5] suggests the type of the service is out of the scope of BES.
However, it hasn't addressed the fact that an activity might not even
have a service representing it. If I implement this hypothetical BES
service, what should I put in the <wsa:Address/> element?

Issue 2: Should a <bes:activity-identifier/> (currently an EPR) be
totally opaque to users other than the issuer (the BES service)?

If the client does not understand how or even wish to interact with the
service referenced by the EPR, the <bes:activity-identifier/> is
completely opaque because they are simply copied into the bodies of
GetActivityStatus, RequestActivityStateChanges and
GetActivityJSDLDocuments. There's no need for the content to be
introspected.

If the client wishes to interact with the service referenced by the EPR
(and know the type of course), the <bes:activity-identifier/> will serve
as both the address and the identifier (a <wsa:ReferenceProperties/>?)
to the activity. I can only interact with the activity through the
service (e.g. POSIXControlService) addressed by that EPR. Even though
there might be a third service (at a different <wsa:Address/> and
different type [MonitoringService]) that can interact with my activity.
I can't just replace the <wsa:Address> with the new one and stick in the
original <wsa:ReferenceProperties/> because it's supposed to be opaque.
How should I perform this resolution?

My point is (if my interpretation is correct) is it a good idea to use a
service address to identify an activity? If we are not specifying the
type of the service referenced by the EPR, is there any value in using
an EPR (instead of ... an IRI)?

William

--- William Lee @  London e-Science Centre, Imperial College London --