[ogsa-bes-bof] RE: [ogsa-wg] Perhaps useful input to BES discussion

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 25 22:14:46 CDT 2005

Hiro:

So our email exchange has gone as follows:

* You mentioned in email to OGSA-WG that a certain set of execution
management commands have been defined as out of scope of BES because they
relate to "job management" instead of "container management."

* I said that this partitioning of function didn't make sense to me, for
reasons that I listed.

* You replied by re-iterating the position that the BES charter is defined
to exclude what you term as "job management" functions.

In my view, this reply doesn't address the issues that I raised, in that it
just restates the position I was objecting to.

I also note that the BES charter on gridforge.org notes that "The scope of
the working group is on the definition of services for service
instantiation and management. For example, using the OGSA V1 nomenclature,
service containers and jobs."

Thus I don't even see that this limitation is justified based on the charter.

I'll stop raising the issue soon, but I do so one last time because I am
concerned that a BES specification that is defined so narrowly is not going
to be useful and thus will not gain broad acceptance.

Regards,

Ian.