[OGSA-AUTHZ] Topics for this afternoon's Cloud and Grid Security Standards Roundtable

Alan Sill alan.sill at ttu.edu
Mon Oct 4 13:36:42 CDT 2010

As announced, we will begin the Cloud and Grid Security Standards portion of the agenda of the Authentication Symposium at 4:00 pm Central US time.

Details on previous talks in the symposium are available at

  http://indico.rnp.br/conferenceOtherViews.py?view=standard&confId=85

This afternoon, the topics I'd like to ask the group to consider are as follows:

 - What are the performance distinctions, technology limitations and differences that you see as currently separating the cloud and grid worlds?

 - What technology limitations do you see that are currently interrupting or interfering with cloud use?  (Consider here performance, security, scalability, accessibility, ease of use, etc.)

 - Of these, what specific security considerations related to clouds and grids do you think are currently important to solve immediately?

 - How can the cloud and grid communities communicate with and inform each other about their needs, potential and already available solutions?

 - In what specific ways can the standards process help in pursuing solutions to these problems?

 - What specific standards documents are needed, or need to be developed further, to meet the needs in cloud and grid security?

Remote participation is welcome and possible.  Details on how to connect are at

  http://indico.rnp.br/internalPage.py?pageId=0&confId=85

Of the listed options, either self-registration for the EVO client or calling in by phone are the easiest for those not already registered in the ESNet  video system.  Please feel free to e-mail me if  you have trouble connecting, although we may not be able to get to all remote participants if your message comes after the beginning of the roundtable.  Connecting early is therefore recommended.

We look forward to your participation, and to your comments by e-mail or in person at  a later time if you have to miss this session.

Thanks very much,

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics
TTU

:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University  Office: Admin 233, MS 4-1167  :
:  e-mail: Alan.Sill at ttu.edu   ph. 806-742-4350  fax 806-742-4358  :