[OGSA-AUTHZ] Implementations

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Sat Mar 22 11:49:51 CDT 2008

Hi Tom

thanks for taking the painful but necessary step of raising a defect.

Actually I dont think it is as bad as you say. The current draft is not
erroneous, it is simply lacking in a non-essential though useful
feature. The DN is not erroneous. It is perfectly OK and I would not
suggest removing it. The reasons have already been given in my earlier
discussions on Trust i.e. if the AA trusts the Grid SP then the DN of
the Grid SP in the caller field (sorry may not have used the correct
term here) and the DN of the user in the subject field (again may not be
correct term) is sufficient to provide a perfectly good proxy service.
It is also as scalable as Shibboleth is today (cf the metadata). So what
you are proposing to add is a feature that will allow greater
scalability and less configuring of trust meta data, since the user can
dynamically delegate to a proxy to request attributes on his behalf.
This is a nice additional feature to the current draft, but is not a
show stopper in my opinion

Regards

David

Tom Scavo wrote:
> [...]
>>  > promote the OASIS SAML V2.0 Deployment Profiles for X.509 Subjects to
>>  > Committee Specification status.  I fully expect this ballot to
>>  > succeed.  The next step after Committee Specification is OASIS
>>  > Standard (but this last step requires three attestations, which is
>>  > unlikely).
>>  >
>>  > If we introduce a normative change to the profile such as we've been
>>  > discussing, we essentially start over.  Presumably the profile could
>>  > travel faster through committee this time around since the bulk of it
>>  > has already been vetted, but a significant delay is inevitable.
>>  >
>>  > The other alternative is to specify this new extension of
>>  > saml2:BaseIDAbstractType in our Attribute Exchange profile and leave
>>  > the OASIS profile alone, flawed as it is.  A third alternative is to
>>  > do nothing.
>>  >
>>  > I'm not sure what to recommend.  I'll let others comment on the
>>  > appropriate course of action.
>>  >
>>  > Tom
>>  >
>>  >>  Tom Scavo wrote:
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Instead of *requiring* a DN, the name identifier in the query should
>>  >>  > be generalized to accommodate the entire certificate (without
>>  >>  > excluding the possibility of a naked DN in those situations where it
>>  >>  > is warranted).  This can be done using <ds:KeyInfo>, something like
>>  >>  > this:
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > <saml:Subject>
>>  >>  >  <saml:BaseID xsi:type="KeyIdentifierType">
>>  >>  >    <ds:KeyInfo>...</ds:KeyInfo>
>>  >>  >  </saml:BaseID>
>>  >>  > </saml:Subject>
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > where KeyIdentifierType is defined as follows:
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > <complexType name="KeyIdentifierType">
>>  >>  >  <complexContent>
>>  >>  >   <extension base="saml:BaseIDAbstractType">
>>  >>  >     <sequence>
>>  >>  >       <element ref="ds:KeyInfo"/>
>>  >>  >     </sequence>
>>  >>  >   </extension>
>>  >>  >  </complexContent>
>>  >>  > </complexType>
>>  >

>> --
>>
>>  *****************************************************************
>>  David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
>>  Professor of Information Systems Security
>>  The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
>>  Skype Name: davidwchadwick
>>  Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
>>  Fax +44 1227 762 811
>>  Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
>>  Email: D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk
>>  Home Page: http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/dwc8/index.html
>>  Research Web site: http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/research/groups/iss/index.html
>>  Entrust key validation string: MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
Email: D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk
PGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5