[OGSA-AUTHZ] checkpointing the discussion on VO attributes

David Groep davidg at nikhef.nl
Tue Jan 29 03:20:11 CST 2008

Hi Valerio, all,

Valerio Venturi wrote:
> Ok, looks like we have agreements on most of the point. Who takes the
> pen?
> Blair, DavidG, what about the chances that this may become an OGF doc?
> If there are some, we'll go with the OGF doc template.

This is certainly a document that is clearly in scope for OGF doc and
on track for rapid progress: there has been extensive discussion,
community consensus is forming well, and is very relevant and timely.

As a process issue, Blair and I do propose that this be done in a 'quick'
dedicated working group, instead of lumping it with the OGSA-AuthZ group
for which it (1) would mean a change of charter and (2) which is already
stuck with a lot of documents that need to be finished as well.
And doing a quick dedicated WG for this really does not take
that long: with the ideas at hand we can do a BoF in 2-3 weeks in
Boston, supported by the email list for those that cannot physically be
present, and get the working group chartered right away. With just
this one deliverable, that will be quick and clean.
Doing this during the Security Area meeting which is already scheduled also
not not need any additional effort on behalf of the coordinators of the
document. And, personally, I think Valerio as a (co)chair of the such group
would make things along very well.

It can also help reduce confusion in oGF as a whole as it does not
necessarily have bear the OGSA label in the name of the group, and the
scope of this document is wider anyway.

Valerio, would you support this idea? Blair and I are very willing to
help getting this started.

Comments welcome!

	DavidG.

> Valerio
>

> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 15:22 +0100, Valerio Venturi wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'll try to checkpoint the discussion had so far.
>>
>> As Krzysztof is planning to serve more than one VO with the same
>> service, we cannot have a one to one relationship between entityIDs and
>> VOs, this imply the need of having a VO attribute. Which was also more
>> or less David's concern, an authority being able to assert whatever it
>> wants. If we go wiht this, the VO attribute stays.
>> We have two proposal so far. Tom suggested to use the MACE-Dir
>> eduPersonScopedAffiliation attribute
>>
>> <saml:Attribute
>>   xmlns:xacmlprof="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:profiles:attribute:XACML"
>>   xmlns:ldapprof="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:profiles:attribute:LDAP"
>>   xacmlprof:DataType="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string"
>>   ldapprof:Encoding="LDAP"
>>   NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:uri"
>>   Name="urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.5923.1.1.1.9"
>>   FriendlyName="eduPersonScopedAffiliation">
>>   <saml:AttributeValue
>>     xsi:type="xs:string">member at voName
>>   </saml:AttributeValue>
>> </saml:Attribute>
>>
>> while in our first draft Krzysztof and I suggested the use of a specific
>>
>> <saml:Attribute
>>   xmlns:xacmlprof="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:profiles:attribute:XACML"
>>   NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:uri"
>>   Name="uri_to_define"
>>   FriendlyName="vo"
>>   xacmlprof:DataType="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">
>>   <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type="xsd:string">
>>     voName
>>   </saml:AttributeValue>
>> </saml:Attribute>
>>
>> Let's try to agree on one.
>>
>> There were concerns about Tom's proposal to use Grouper to express
>> groups, specifically about the contents being an URN. Anyway, the
>> specification doesn't mandate them to be URN, it recommends to use URIs
>> is uniqueness is to eb achieved.
>>
>> Other concerns with using this?
>>
>> Still we have no suggestions for expressing roles, apart from the
>> initial (but I have made the group syntax homogeneous with the above)
>>
>> <saml:Attribute
>>   xmlns:xacmlprof="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:profiles:attribute:XACML"
>>   NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:uri"
>>   Name="uri_to_define"
>>   FriendlyName="role"
>>   xacmlprof:DataType="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">
>>   <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type="xsd:string">
>>     VO-Admin at vo
>>   </saml:AttributeValue>
>>   <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type="xsd:string">
>>     SoftwareManager at vo:group:subgroup
>>   </saml:AttributeValue>
>> </saml:Attribute>
>>
>> that seems to receive more favor than the one with the scope attributes.
>>
>> What problems can you see with that?
>>
>> Valerio
>>

> --

David Groep

** National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics, PDP/Grid group **
** Room: H1.56 Phone: +31 20 5922179, PObox 41882, NL-1009DB Amsterdam NL **