[OGSA-AUTHZ] VO SAML Attribute Profile

Krzysztof Benedyczak golbi at mat.uni.torun.pl
Sun Jan 20 05:46:51 CST 2008

Chad La Joie wrote:

> Krzysztof Benedyczak wrote:
>>> - In section 4.1, if you really want that kind of syntax you *may*
>>> want to define a special schema type for that encoding, something
>>> along the lines of (regexp could be made more precise):
>>>
>>> <xsd:simpleType name="groupQualifiedString">
>>>     <xsd:restriction type="xsd:string">
>>>        <xsd:pattern value=".+@(/.+)*" />
>>>     <xsd:restriction>
>>> </xsd:simpleType>
>>>
>> Of course - however this pattern depends on the details that weren't
>> fully agreed (example: do we use this syntax only for roles or other
>> attributes too? If so empty values may be permitted before @ what
>> influences the pattern).
>>
>> I have another remark here. The initial aim of attributes encoded in the
>> '@' fashion was to simplify creation of XACML policies, with
>> requirements for an attribute in a group scope. Having a simple string
>> as a value isn't enough when we use a non-standard XACML DataType (i.e.
>> it will require also a non-standard comparison function). So I'd like to
>> change the requirement for DataType to be a '...#string' here, what in
>> turn requires the schema of the attribute value to be 'xsd:string'.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Yeah, the only way you can really do this type of encoding is over
> string data types.  Depending on what you mean by "requires the schema
> of the attribute value to be 'xsd:string'" that may or may not be
> correct.  The type certainly has to be an instance of xsd:string, but it
> could done like the schema fragment I had.  The "groupQualifiedString"
> type is still an "xsd:string".

My concern was about SAML XACML profile. Exactly p. 8.5.4:
"The syntax of the <AttributeValue> element's content MUST correspond to
the data type expressed in the profile-specific DataType XML attribute
appearing in the parent <Attribute> element. For data types
corresponding to the types defined in Section 3.3 of [Schema2], the
xsi:type XML attribute SHOULD also be used on the <AttributeValue>
element(s)."

I was not sure if it will be all right with this profile to put
"DataType=...#string" and xsi:type="restrictedString". But probably it
was my misinterpretation and then the proposed schema is fine.

>>> - Definitely agree that the encoding method described in section 4.2
>>> should be dumped for the reasons given in other responses.
>> So here is the most significant problem for me. I'm not going to reduce
>> functionality of the service because there exist poor clients which can
>> produce error on SAML response from my service. And I need a way to
>> encode arbitrary type of value which is group scoped (e.g. a XML value).
>>
>> One solution I can see is to limit the VO attributes profile to
>> enumerated attributes only (group, VO, role) which are well established,
>> have common sense and we can enforce the common encoding for them.
>>
>> Then the only way for a client to get attributes with the scope encoded
>> as in 4.2 would be to ask for all attributes or for all values of some
>> attribute.
>>
>> Is it fine for you? Or maybe other suggestions?
>
> My concerns here are not with the clients that can't support it, but the
> ones who crash because of it.  I would also not include something in the
> spec unless you're actually going to use it in the spec.
Frankly I don't understand the last sentence. Can you explain it, please?

Best regards,
Krzysztof