[OGSA-AUTHZ] VO SAML Attribute Profile

Krzysztof Benedyczak golbi at mat.uni.torun.pl
Tue Feb 12 09:03:31 CST 2008

Tom Scavo wrote:
>> And also another issue: XACML DataType. As I understand the topic about
>> the legacy/trivial/dummy software the problem is with values not being a
>> simple string. Will it be OK for this software when it will see xsd:anyURI?
>
> By "legacy software," I think you mean some SAML V1.1 implementations?
>  Well, the XACML Attribute Profile is new in SAML V2.0, so I don't
> think backwards compatibility is an issue.
>
> That said, I wonder if it would be better to specify string rather
> than anyURI.  (Thinking out loud here.)
I mean the software which was mentioned in other emails e.g. the last
paragraph of the first Chad's post in this thread. This software was the
reason for not using (generally much cleaner, I think) an additional
SAML attribute value's XML attribute to encode a scope (point 4.2 of
initial proposal).

>> 2) URI equivalence test in XACML is simple codepoint-by-codepoint (or
>> UnicodeChar-by-UnicodeChar). Provided that, we come into a nightmare of
>> infinite number of representations of the *same* scope+value pair:
After reading your answer I think we have some little misunderstanding
here. So one general comment here and one more detailed later inline.

I'm perfectly aware that SAML assertion has Issuer id, and - as a whole
assertion - will be globally unique. I initially thought that you wish
to put literally the Issuer id once again in group: URI.

Now as you see the first part of URI as:

group://SCOPE/vo_name/group_name/subgroup_name#role

and SCOPE is defined for exclusively for the Issuer - every Issuer can
have many of them, and those must be unique in the way that never two
issuers use the same SCOPE. Do I understand it correctly now?
If so two questions:
- do we really need the possibility to define multiple SCOPEs for one
IdP? For me one such SCOPE per Issuer would be perfectly enough - all
other differentiation can be at VO level.
- do we suggest some best practice or whatever for establishing those
SCOPEs per IdP?

I'd like to see it that way (simplified):

<Assertion>
  <Issuer>http://idp.example.com/services/samlImpl</Issuer>
   <Attribute>
     <AttributeValue>group://idp.example.com/VO1/gr1#ACTUAL_VALUE</..>
   </...>

So one SCOPE per IdP + profile has statement which says the it SHOULD be
based on Issuer's ID. Does it makes sense?

>>   -) shall we enforce an URI normalization for the 'group:' URIs? For
>> possible examples of it see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-6.2
>
> Various SAML attribute profiles rely on this spec:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4122.txt
>
> I've been told this is easier to implement, but I can't say for sure.
Can you explain in more details what do you mean here, please? I.e. do
you want to use the same normalization/comparison rules as are used for
UUIDs? I guess no, as it makes no sense for general URI which have
non-integer components.

>> 3) Having 'group:' URIs what about earlier 'VO' and 'group' SAML
>> attributes (defined in the initial version of draft)? I think we should
>> merge them into one attribute proposed by Tom: 'isMemberOf', with group
>> URI syntax as a value. It will be enough to express both VO and group.
>> 'isMemberOf' attribute's namespace would be VO profile-specific.
>
> If you're suggesting "isMemberOf" along with the "group:" attribute
> value syntax can do it all, I agree with you.
Yes, exactly. So no problem here.

Best regards
Krzysztof