[OGSA-AUTHZ] VO SAML Attribute Profile

Krzysztof Benedyczak golbi at mat.uni.torun.pl
Tue Feb 5 08:03:16 CST 2008

Hi Tom,

Tom Scavo wrote:
> Suppose, for example, UIUC and UIowa jointly offer a graduate-level
> geography course (GEOG 602) to advanced undergraduate and graduate
> students at both institutions.  The first semester this joint course
> is offered, it is agreed that the GISolve gateway (VO name:
> http://gisolve.org) deployed at UIUC will support all students taking
> the course.  Consequently, each student is obliged to obtain a GISolve
> gateway account at http://www.gisolve.org/.
>
> Now it turns out that the GISolve gateway proxies grid requests to a
> resource provider (RP) on the back end.  To distinguish grid requests
> originating from the two groups of users (uiuc.edu and uiowa.edu), the
> RP (hosted by NCSA at UIUC) requires isMemberOf attributes with one of
> the following values:
>
> http://gisolve.org/uiuc.edu/geog602
> http://gisolve.org/uiowa.edu/geog602
>
> To further distinguish requests, the gateway and RP together define
> roles (faculty, student, admin, etc.) that are appended to the
> relevant isMemberOf attribute values using familiar URL notation.  For
> example, to distinguish between students at each of the two
> institutions, the following attribute values are defined:
>
> http://gisolve.org/uiuc.edu/geog602#student
> http://gisolve.org/uiowa.edu/geog602#student
>
> Attributes values such as these have a number of desirable properties.
>  First of all, the VO already owns the namespace, so globally unique
> attribute values are immediately available.  Moreover, URLs are easily
> parsed by most languages, so processing is a snap.
>
> Does anyone see a downside to such a naming scheme?

Well, I can't really see the reason for putting http:// there, and
making it a URL. It'll confuse everybody, actually the above text
confuses even my MUA - thuderbird - which allows me to click at those
example attributes' values. My and I think general view on URL is that
it identifies a resource via a representation of its access mechanism -
and it is not true in this case.

In another words, without very serious reason I wouldn't use http://
URLs for things that aren't by any mean resources accessible via HTTP
protocol.

Looking at the other end of your proposition - scoped attribute value
encoded with '#':

<whatever>/gisolve.org/uiuc.edu/geog602#student

is nearly the same as my original proposition. My was:

/gisolve.org/uiuc.edu/geog602:student

Valerio convinced me that it will be better to use the same notation
that MACE profile defines (with '@'). Parsing is trivial in any case.
The only one tiny issue is to define which are reserved chars and how to
escape them. Of course URI encoding rules with percent encoding of
special characters is fine.

Eventually one minor note: all those examples above should contain vo
service id as the "host" component (see the rest of discussion - one
service can manage many VOs). E.g.:

http://voservice.uiuc.edu/gissolve/uiuc.edu/geog602#student

To summarize: I don't think that a URL is a good choice, a URI is fine
with me, however at least partial compatibility with MACE-dir is
tempting too - that's why we proposed @ notation.

Best regards,
Krzysztof