[OGSA-AUTHZ] Implementations

Tom Scavo trscavo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 10:44:09 CDT 2008

David described a simple use case involving a proxy certificate:

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 5:44 AM, David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Secondly the inclusion of a "certificate" needs more elaboration. The
>  inclusion for example of a user's public key certificate proves nothing
>  more than the presence of a DN does, since it is publicly available and
>  an untrustworth grid SP could send any PKC it wished, just as it can
>  send any DN it wished. Therefore one needs to specify the properties of
>  the certificate that are being transferred, which is, that the user is
>  delegating to the grid SP to act on its behalf. A proxy certificate
>  would do this, as would an attribute certificate.

Here's another possible use case involving an end entity certificate
(EEC).  Suppose a user requests a short-lived EEC from a shib-enabled
online CA (such as the GridShib CA).  The user first obtains a SAML
assertion from the IdP and then presents this SAML assertion to the
shib-enabled CA.  The CA binds the SAML assertion (or portions of it)
to the issued EEC.

Now the user authenticates to a Grid SP using this EEC and thereafter
the SP includes the EEC in its query to the IdP.  The IdP recovers the
SAML assertion in the EEC and verifies that it did in fact issue the
assertion to the shib-enabled CA through the browser.  This proves (to
the satisfaction of the IdP) that the user is present at the Grid SP.

Another use case involves a shib-enabled grid portal (such as a
TeraGrid Science Gateway) that makes a request to a Grid SP on the
user's behalf.  In that case, the portal issues a proxy certificate
containing the SAML assertion from the IdP, which it presents to the
Grid SP.  The Grid SP recovers the SAML assertion from the proxy and
uses the SAML Subject therein to issue a query to the IdP.  So neither
a DN nor a certificate is required in this case.

In the previous use case, if the IdP does not know the portal and the
Grid SP are affiliated, it may reject the Grid SP's use of the SAML
Subject.  Thus the Grid SP might include the entire certificate in its
query, which proves 1) the subject presented the SAML assertion to the
grid portal, and 2) the grid portal requested the Grid SP on behalf of
the user.  The IdP may allow such a request, subject to policy.

Tom