[OGSA-AUTHZ] Web Services (Policy?) profile of/for XACML

Yuri Demchenko demch at science.uva.nl
Wed Feb 21 16:46:03 CST 2007

David,

David Chadwick wrote:
> firstly we have a lot of opportunity to feed our comments into Anne, the
> author, and I am sure she will be very receptive to our helpful input.
>
> Concerning its purpose, it can be used in negotiation for the sender to
> say what his requirement are from the other party, and what his
> capabilities are for providing a service to the other party. However,
> this is not really what we want from this service. We simply want the
> ability to provide an XACML request context in a secure manner to a
> remote PDP, and to obtain an XACML response context from the PDP. Which
> is why the SAML profile (that is now deprecated) was actually ideal for
> us (and why my first OGF spec was based on it). So my question to Anne
> would be, Can we make sure this new spec has the same functionality (at
> least) as the previous SAML spec.

This is what were my expectation after you mentioned this document. But
after reading it I didn't find this was the purpose and idea behind the
document.

Which SAML profile do you mean:

GGF - GFD.66 - Use of SAML for OGSI Authorization?

or OASIS - "SAML 2.0 profile of XACML v2.0"?
It is linked from the XACML webpage
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/2.0/access_control-xacml-2.0-saml-profile-spec-os.pdf
and new Working Draft of 26 June 2006
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/18921/xacml-2.0-profile-saml2.0-v2-wd-2.zip