[OGSA-AUTHZ] OGSA-Authz-WG meeting minutes v2: OGF Jan 29 session

Von Welch vwelch at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 5 20:51:37 CST 2007

Here are the minutes with all corrections and comments that I have seen.

Von

----

* Preamble
David brought meeting to order
Circulated OGF IP sign-in sheet
Von volunteers to scribe

* Telecon Update

Decision: Once every two months, we will take one of the OGSA-WG
phone call slots to report to the larger community. Next date will be
March 8th.

Decision: Telecon dates
  February 13th
  March 7th
  April 3rd
  April 23rd

* "Functional Components of Grid Service Provider Authorisation
Service Middleware" available from
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc13968?nav=1
Latest version is Oct 24th version
Outstanding issue: implications of carrying attributes and
credentials within the same protocol or within different protocols

Outstanding issue: Id vs URL issued raised by Tom Scavo:
http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/ogsa-authz-wg/2006-November/000242.html

Doc should then be ready for WG final call and progression to AD

* Protocol Doc Updates
Described 3 protocol
1) PEP-Context Handler: no profile proposed. Maybe the same as
protocol #3 if credentials can be carried in same field as attributes
in the protocol.
2) Context Handler-CVS: WS-Trust profile:
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc9011?nav=1
3) Context Handler-PDP: proposal XACML request/response protocol
proposed:
the current profile, available from
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc13681?nav=1

in which the XACML request context is transported to the PDP in a SAML
request message.

Apparently this OASIS mechanism has been deprecated because it was
(wrongly) thought that no-one was using it. We thus may need to
reconsider this protocol and use a different wrapper to carry the XACML
contexts.

* Takuya Mori presentation on NAREGI Authz Service and NAREGI XACML
profile
Slides: http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc14166?nav=1
SAML 2.0 and XACML 2.0 based
Uses GT authz framework
Profile between Authz service client (in GT4) and Authz CVS
Handles VOMS AC's and passes to Authz service
Presented mapping of attributes from X.509 EEC/VOMS AC into XACML
Resource Attribute Filtering Mechanism (RAFM) - Reference properties,
XACML profile has Subject, Resource and Action attributes

There is an issue as to how a resource's attributes are obtained by the
PEP. If the user submits them to the PEP there is a potential trust
issue here, and the attributes will need to validated by the CVS. If the
PEP obtains them itself from a local store this is not an issue.

* VOMS profile
Discussed on Oct 16 telecon - minutes on list
Meaning of the primary type must be explicit rather than implicit (as
currently done via sequence)
Awaiting response from VOMS group

Valerio: What we haven't understood so far is why an explicit primary
attribute
is needed rather then an implicit one and what needs an eventual change
in VOMS AC format would address. [Discussion continued on ogsa-authz
email list]

* Attribute Retrieval Protocol
Added as last meeting
OASIS profile for SAML - Tom Scavo author

* Von Welch resignation as WG chair
Those who are interesting in replacing Von should send email to David

* Other business
Tom Scavo: Do we need mechanism to bind SAML to X.509 (equivalent to
VOMS)? (https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GS/X509BindingSAML)

David: 2005 X.509 has specification for binding XML to X.509, but
doesn't specify XML content

Tom Scavo to investigate how these relate.

David: VOMS is providing a standard SAML protocol interface for picking
up VOMS attributes. A beta is supposed to be ready by April 2007
(Valerio: That's correct David. The protocol is that in SAML V2.0
Profiles for X.509 Subject as agreed. We are about to work on the
implementation of the protocol and we will eventually inform Tom and
the authors about any issue we may have. Hope it won't be too late by
that time but we couldn't make it before.) (Later in email Tom
directs to http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/21568/
sstc-saml2-profiles-deploy-x509-draft-01.pdf)