[OGSA-AUTHZ] Draft XACML/SAML Protocol Profile

Tom Scavo trscavo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 21:02:07 CST 2007

Hi Chad,

I'm sure you know this but if you change all the normative language
regarding <saml:Issuer> from SHOULD to MUST, you essentially end up
with the Assertion Query/Request Profile in section 6 of the SAML V2.0
Profiles spec:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-profiles-2.0-os.pdf

So the obvious question is why did you change the language regarding
<saml:Issuer>?

Overall, your profile is a curious blend of more restrictive / less
restrictive language with respect to the profiles it depends on.  The
stated requirements on <saml:Issuer> are an example of the latter.
The security requirements in section 3 seem to be an example of the
former.  In particular, I find it odd that integrity and
confidentiality are MUSTs, yet authentication is SHOULD.  Can you say
a few words about that (beyond what's already written in the
document)?

Finally, the restriction on lines 178--180 seems to contradict
sections 6.1 and 7 of the SAML-XACML profile.  Why restrict carte
blanche the proxying of the <saml:Assertion> by the requester?  Not
only does that contradict the SAML-XACML profile but it's clearly out
of scope for your use case.

Tom