[OGSA-AUTHZ] Draft XACML/SAML Protocol Profile

Valerio Venturi valerio.venturi at cnaf.infn.it
Tue Dec 4 16:06:27 CST 2007

David Chadwick wrote:
> Chad La Joie wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'll look at the document in more detail.
>>
>> I believe I already mentioned to Valerio that I think there is benefit
>> to having two separate documents, one for the protocol and one for the
>> attributes.
>>

> Its more than just attributes. Obligations also need to be standardised.
> Perhaps CRUD actions as well.
>
>   This allows parts to be updated more easily and, if written
>
>> properly, would allow the attributes spec to be cited by things
>> unrelated to XACML but still wanting to the attributes you define.
>>

> Agreed. This has been discussed by the WG. Its all a question of timing.
> If the attributes/obligations etc can come quickly after the protocol
> profiles this will be fine, but if it takes years then it would be too long.

Yes, same problems that for the attributes and the attribute exchange
profile. And not a straightforward solution. The problem here is more
complicated, because while agreeing on a format for VO attributes won't
take much, agreeing on identifiers for obligations, actions, and
whatelse seems a hard work.
But that mean also that probably putting them now in a specification is
premature, and we cannot claim to have consensus on those, while for the
protocol we are at agood point.
What about extracting them to an appendix, may be in form of examples?
Would that be a good trade off?

Valerio